In the case of computers we have more access to the system’s insides, we manage direct access to the files of the disk, we install software of better or worse origin and we may at some point consider doing a clean installation.
However in a system like iOS, where we do not access the file system, where all the software we install is from a reliable source, where when erasing an application we get rid of everything that has brought, it seems that it does not make sense to install from scratch .
Doing this type of installation seems to make less sense, but it is also much faster and simpler than on a computer.
In any case, if you do not want to worry about all this, and everything is going well, update and in a short time you will have the system working again just as you had it.
When and why to install iOS from scratch
Years in the Windows territory have accustomed me to format my laptops every few minutes. It was a tidbit that I enjoyed but of which I ended up getting tired.
Fortunately, iOS devices do not need to perform this ceremony on a regular basis because, in general, the operating system defends itself quite well with the passage of time and updates.
However, like any piece of software errors can accumulate that creep over time. Slow running, phantom photos that still occupy space, WiFi connection failures, sighing battery, apps that close unexpectedly and other crashes. Some are due to issues that Apple fixes with an update; others persist and must be fixed with an installation from scratch.
If you have tried everything and your device still does not work as you expected, clean installation of iOS may be the solution.
Keep in mind that it is not a wild card that will solve all the problems, but it will fix some of the most annoying.
Get ready for a clean iOS-installation
Following with my experience installing iOS 10 cleanly on the iPhone 5 , these are the steps I carried out (they are similar to the ones we detail when upgrading to iOS 11 ):
- The first is the first: Back up your Mac or PC from iTunes. If something goes wrong, it is the fastest way to recover your data.
- Then back up to iCloud. You’ll need it to retrieve WhatsApp conversations and Health data from your Apple Watch.
- On this, you will lose any iMessage conversations you have, since the iCloud backup has not yet been activated. If your device is not compatible with iOS 11, you will lose Health data.
- It is often a good idea to make screenshots of your Home, to know where and what apps you had installed.
- If you have an app that is critical to you, make sure it is still available . If you do a clean installation and it has disappeared from the App Store, you will not be able to recover it from the “Bought” menu.
- Export and save all your photos to your Mac or PC and delete them, also from the Streaming folder.
- Clear the bandwidth of your WiFi connection, you’ll need it.
How to do a clean iOS-installation
The easiest way to do a clean installation of iOS is through iTunes on your Mac or PC. It is also the fastest. You must follow these steps:
- Turn off Find my iPhone under Settings> Apple ID> iCloud> Search for my iPhone. You will be prompted for your Apple ID password.
- Connect your device with Lightning cable and open iTunes.
- In the summary of your device, click Restore iPhone or iPad.
- iTunes will start the download if you do not have it on your computer with the latest version of the compatible operating system, this may take a while depending on your WiFi connection.
- Once the download is complete, follow the steps and accept the iOS license terms and conditions.
- The device will start with the restore, deleting ALL the contents of the computer.
- When you finish the process, you will be asked for different configurations: enter a security code, configure Touch ID, connect to a WiFi network, etc.
- IMPORTANT : When asked if you want to use a backup, choose “Set as new iPhone or iPad”.
When choosing the latter, we will have our device as fresh out of the box . No apps installed or possible errors that have been dragged into backups.
By entering our Apple ID and iCloud credentials, we will retrieve all contacts, notes, movie tickets, airline tickets, and Health data.
Safari tabs should also be on iCloud with the name of your iPhone or iPad before the restore.
But we’ll need to set up tones, wallpaper, install third-party apps as well as their credentials. Without forgetting the photos and music that we want to have in the device.
With these steps, you should have a device with less or none of those annoying errors .